Oklahoma foster care and adoption guidelines
Thank you for considering becoming a foster and adoptive parent. Your desire to share your love and your life with a child will create permanency for children that will last a lifetime. Please feel free to contact Oklahoma Department of Human Services for more information regarding foster care and adoption in Oklahoma.
Things you should know
- Foster care and adoption licensing requirements
- Costs to foster and adopt
- Parent support groups
- Agency contact and orientation information
- Information on Oklahoma's children
Basic requirements include:
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must be in reasonably good health.
- You can be single, married, divorced or widowed.
- You must have no history of child abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse.
- You must have or provide sufficient beds and space for personal items for additional children.
- You must be able to manage your income to meet the financial needs of your family.
- You must be capable of understanding, loving and accepting a child. Your role is to provide protection and nurturance to the child/children placed in your care and to act as a role model.
- If you have a spouse or partner, he or she is also required to participate in the home assessment process and to attend the27-hour orientation session with you.
You must complete a home assessment, which includes:
- Completion of OKDHS forms and application
- Reference checks
- Background checks
- Medical examination report
- Family assessment, including interviews with all family members;
- Completion of 27-hour resource family orientation
- House safety assessment
- Verification of income sufficient to meet your needs
- Verification of vaccination for pets
- Automobile insurance verification
It is always free to adopt or foster.
One Church, One Child Family Ties Support Group
Contact: Annie Parker
Child Development Center-Metro Technology Center
Address: 3129 Martin Luther King Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73111
Oklahoma Therapeutic Foster Parent Association
Contact: Laura Boyd
Address: 2801 Castlewood Drive, Norman, OK 73072
In addition to State Department of Human Resources, the following private agencies have programs and services for children in need of a permanent home. They work with many situations, including private adoption and adopting a child from foster care. They welcome you to contact them or view their website for additional information.
Child Study Center
Address: 1100 NE 13th, Oklahoma City, OK 73117
The Children's Center
Address: 6800 NW 39th Expressway, Bethany, OK 73008
National Resource Center for Youth Services
Address: 4502 E 41st Street, Tulsa, OK 74135-2553
JD McCarty Center for Children with Developmental Disabilities
Address: 2002 E Robinson Street, Norman, OK 73071
Oklahoma CASA Association
Address: PO Box 54946, Oklahoma City, OK 73154
Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy
Address: 3800 N Classen Blvd, Suite 230, Oklahoma City, OK 73118
Oklahoma Family Network (OFN)
Mailing Address: PO Box 21072, Oklahoma City, OK 73156-1072
Private adoption agencies
Adoption Choices of Oklahoma
Address: 201 N Broadway, Suite 107, Moore, OK 73160
Crisis Pregnancy Outreach
Address: PO Box 1113 Jenks, OK 74037
Deaconess Adoption Services
Address: 7101 NW Expressway, Suite 325, Oklahoma City, OK 73132
Dillon International, Inc.
Address: 3227 East 31st Street, Suite 200, Tulsa OK 74105
Eastern Oklahoma Youth Services
Address: 2626 S 14th Street, Suite A-20, McAlester, OK 74501
Nightlight Christian Adoptions
5110 S. Yale Avenue, Suite 525, Tulsa, OK 74135
Address: 501 E 15th Street, #500, Edmond, OK 73013
Oklahoma Baptist Home for Children
Address: 16301 S Western, Oklahoma City, OK 73170
The Oklahoma Department of Human Services has 8,362 children in out of home care. Of these children, 1,982 are waiting for adoptive families.
Children come into the care of the State child welfare system due to abuse or neglect. Many are sibling groups and are from all cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Some of the children are already legally free for adoption. Others are not.