- Our Services
- For Families
- For Professionals
- Join the Conversation
- Meet the Children
South Carolina Foster Care
and Adoption Guidelines
Those interested in becoming an adoptive parent may call 888-CARE-4-US or contact the regional adoption office in your county of residence. Adoption services are provided through the four state Department of Social Services regional adoption offices. Each office serves as many as 10 to 14 counties. On the department's website you can find local information.
- To view additional South Carolina children go the State website.
- Here are agency contacts for orientation and training
- Here is a list of regional offices. Contact us by phone at 1-888-CARE -4-US or 1-888-227-3487
- Hispanic Assistance and Bilingual Access (HABLA)
Número de teléfono: 803-777-0411
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Things You Should Know
- Foster Care and Adoption Licensing Requirements
- Foster and Adoption Costs
- Agency Contact and Orientation Information
Steps to become an adoptive parent
- Contact one of the regional offices to inquiry and receive application
- Application completed and returned to the regional office which serves your resident county
- Complete SLED/ Fingerprints and Child Abuse Central register releases on all members of household 18 years and older
- Attend 14 hours of preparatory training to help with self evaluation of the types of children which would fit into your family
- Fire and sanitation inspections completed on home by the Fire Marshal and DHEC
- Home visits: adoption specialist visits the home and completes interviews for pre-placement investigation
- Three to four references received and interviewed by adoption specialist
- Medicals are required on all family members
- Provide copies of birth certificates, marriage license and divorce petitions and decrees if applicable
- During assessment family and agency assess qualifications and readiness to adopt
- Approval received and family considered for children along with other approved and waiting families
- Placement committee selects family and notifies family and family is presented full background on children for whom family is selected
- Family meets child and begins visitation with child
- Placement occurs when child and family are ready for move
- Post placement period begins and can continue up to 12 months
- Finalization of the adoption in family court
- Adoption preservation services are available upon request after the finalization of the adoption. Adoption is a lifelong process, counseling and other referral services may be available to the family as needed and requested by the family.
The department does not charge a fee to become a licensed foster parent or adoptive parent. The family is required to show sufficient income to meet the needs of their family and any additional children placed in the home. Each family must complete a physical exam and which is at the expense of the family. Should there be issues which prevent licensure identified in the fire and sanitation inspections those repairs are at the expense of the applicant before proceeding with the study process.
An attorney is required at the time of the legal finalization of the adoption. If the child adopted is a special needs child the family may be eligible to receive some reimbursement of those legal fees.
South Carolina also has private adoption agencies licensed to place children for adoption. Each agency sets their fee schedule. See list of private agencies licensed in the State. Each private agency may have slightly different criteria than the department.
- A Child’s Future
Address: 37 Troon Way, Aiken, SC 29803
- Adopt-A-Child Network
Address: 7752 Dartmore Lane, Columbia, SC 29223
- Adoption Hope International, Inc.
Address: 284 Shoreward Drive, Myrtle Beach, SC 29579-5146
- Bethany Christian Services
Address: 1612 Marion St., Suite 206, Columbia, SC 29201-2939
- Catholic Social Services
Address: 1123 South Church St., Charlotte, NC 28203
Alternate Address: 292 Munn St., Fort Mill, SC 29715
- Child of the Heart
1156 Bowman Road, Suite 200, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
- Christian Family Services, Inc.
Mailing Address: Post Office Box 36426
Street Address: 1069 Bayshoe Drive, Suite 201, Rock Hill, SC 29732
- LDS Family Services
Address: 7621 Little Avenue, Suite 420, Charlotte, NC 28226
- MKM Adoption Services
Address: 20 Devonhall Way, Taylors, SC 29687-6472
- Small World, Inc.
Address: 821 N. Main St., Suite 8, Anderson, SC 29621
- There’s Room, Inc.
Street Address: 1411 Barnwell Street, Suite 1
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 2741, Columbia, SC 29202
- A Chosen Child Adoption Services
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 50637, Summerville, SC 29485
- Adoption Advocacy, Inc.
Address: 1712 Waterway Court, Spartanburg, SC 29301
- Another Choice for Black Children, Inc.
Address: 2340 Beatties Ford Road, Charlotte, North Carolina 28216
- Carolina Adoption Services
Address: 801 Tyvola Road, Bldg. 810, Suite 112, Charlotte, NC 28217
- Cherished Children International Adoption Agency
Address: 1052 Merlot Court, Moore, SC 29369
- Children Unlimited of Family Services Center
Or Family Services Center of South Carolina
Address: 2712 Middleburg Drive, Suite 207-A, Columbia, SC 29204
- International Adoption Guides
Address: 1530-A North Fant St., Anderson, SC 29621
- LifeShare Management Group, Inc.
Address: 1201 Main St., Suite 1100, Columbia, SC 29201
- Nightlight Christian Services
Address: 1527 Wade Hampton Blvd., Greenville, SC 29609
- Special Link
Address: 1201 Haywood Road, Greenville, SC 29615-2256
- Worldwide Adoption Services
Address: 115 Conifer Road, Inman, SC 29349