- Our Services
- For Families
- For Professionals
- Join the Conversation
- Meet the Children
Missouri Foster and Adoption Guidelines
The adoption and foster care process may take some time, but the rewards are well worth the effort. You will find there are many resources available to you, and we recommend that you become involved in as many ways with the foster and adoption community as you feel comfortable.
- Missouri Department of Social Services Children's Division
Contact: Sarah Bashore
Things You Should Know
- Foster and Adoption Licensing Requirements
- Costs to Foster and Adopt
- Agency Contact and Orientation Information
- Parent Support Groups
- Information on Missouri's Waiting Children
In order to adopt or foster in Missouri, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Complete a child abuse and neglect check and criminal record check including fingerprints
- Have a stable income
- Live in an apartment, condominium or home as long as it meets licensing standards
- Be willing to participate in and complete a free training and assessment process
- Be a part of a professional team willing to voice perspectives and concerns
- Be willing to partner with the child’s family
You can be single or married, with or without children in your home.
To attend an orientation, please contact one of the public, private or nonprofit agencies available through the links below.
Missouri has county-based department of social services offices, nonprofit agencies, and private agencies available to you. Find the social services office for your county. View a list of nonprofit or private agencies in Missouri (PDF - 47KB).
There are many support groups available, including but not limited to:
- Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition
Phone: 800-FOSTER-3 (314-367-8373)
Address: 1750 South Brentwood Blvd., Suite 210, St. Louis, MO 63144
- International Families
Contact: Donna Schnieders
Address: 538 Oak Court, Webster Groves, MO 63119
- Midwest Foster Care and Adoption Association
Address: 3210 S Lee’s Summit Road, Independence, MO 64055
- Parkland Foster/Adopt Families Support Group
Contact: Millie Smith
Address: 408 North Allen St., Bonne Terre, MO 63628
Meetings are held the last Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m.
- Southeast Missouri Adoption Support Groups/Area 3
Contact: Stacie Frueh
Address: 583 B Ste. Genevieve Drive, St. Genevieve, MO 63670
- SW Missouri Foster/Adopt Support Group
Contact: Angie Swarnes
Address: 601 Commercial, Joplin, MO 64801
- Children’s Home Society of Missouri
1167 Corporate Lake Drive
St. Louis, Missouri 63132
Adoption informational meetings are held on the first Monday of the month, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Registration required. Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Missouri Foster Care & Adoption Association (Warren County Chapter – Circuit 12)
Contact: Cathy Pritchett
Address:103 Morgan Trails Court, Warrenton, MO 63383
- Foster & Adoptive Parent Support Group Serving Camden County
Contact: Kathy Hodel
Phone: 573-346-3363 Ext. 228
Address: United Methodist Church, 340 W Us Highway 54
Camdenton, MO 65020
Meetings are held the third Thursday of the month, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Foster Parent Support Group Meeting – Laclede County
Contact: Dawn LeFors-Jemes
Phone: 417-532-3137 ext. 229
Address: Oasis Worship Center, 22044 East Highway 32, Lebanon, MO. (located on S curve past Copeland on right hand side of road)
- Foster & Adoptive Parent Support Group Serving Miller, Morgan and Moniteau Counties
Contact: Angela Watkins
Phone: 573-392-5141, ext. 231
Address: Alternating between First Assembly of God at 1395 NE View St Eldon MO and First Assembly of God 501 W Hicks St in Versailles MO
Meetings are held the fourth Tuesday of every month, 6-8 p.m.
- Foster/Adoptive Parents of Mid-Missouri
Boone Foster Parent Support Group
The Crossing Church
2nd Thursday of each month 6:30- 8:30 p.m.
- The Central Missouri Foster Care and Adoption Association (CMFCAA)Serves 13 Counties (Boone, Cole, Callaway, Osage, Phelps, Maries, Laclede, Miller, Morgan, Camden, Moniteau, Pulaski and Audrain)
Contact: DeAnna Alonso, Executive Director
Phone: (573) 298-0258
- Missouri Foster Care and Adoption Association St. Charles Chapter Contact: Rachel Kleinbach, president
There are over 13,000 children in foster care in Missouri; 1,200 of these children have no identified adoptive parents. You can also learn more about children and adoption resources at Missouri adoption events.