Publications and resources
Our publications, tip sheets, and webinars were developed by experts in the child welfare field to help you find safe, permanent homes for children in foster care.
New! See our resources to help you make the most of Instant Family and the awareness it is raising about adoption from foster care!
In this section, you will find resources on the following topics:
- Finding families: tips about general recruitment, identifying families for teens and siblings, and using media and social media to raise awareness
- Supporting families: providing respite services, implementing family support programs, and improving customer service
- Working with diverse communities: cultural competence; recruiting families for Native children; working with LGBT families and youth and families in the military and living in rural communities
- Making interjurisdictional placements: strategies and tools to make successful placements
- Diligent recruitment tools: resources to help recruit, develop, and support families, including the Diligent Recruitment Navigator
New and popular publications
- Finding a Fit that Will Last a Lifetime: A Guide to Connecting Adoptive Families With Waiting Children (402 KB PDF) / en español (280 KB PDF)
Effective ways of bringing waiting children and families together, with insights shared by families, youth, and professionals.
- Creating Effective Narratives for Children Waiting to Be Adopted (1 MB PDF)
Updated guidance for writing compelling public narratives that protect children’s safety, privacy, and dignity
- ICPC Receiving State Checklist (210 KB PDF) and ICPC Sending State Checklist (240 KB PDF)
Also visit the website of the National Resource Center for Diligent Recruitment.