- Our Services
- For Families
- For Professionals
- Join the Conversation
- Meet the Children
Arizona Foster Care and Adoption Guidelines
We're happy to have the opportunity to walk you through the foster care and adoption process in Arizona. We will answer your adoption questions and assist you in making the process a positive experience.
- Phone (Teléfono): 877-KIDS-NEED-U (877-543-7633)
Things You Should Know
- Foster and Adoption Licensing Requirements
- Costs to Foster and Adopt
- Agency Contact and Orientation Information
- Parent Support Group Contacts
- Information on Arizona's Waiting Children
Qualifications to Foster or Adopt
You could make a wonderful parent to a waiting child if you:
- Are an adult, legal resident of Arizona
- Are single, married, divorced or widowed
- Meet minimum age requirements (21 to foster, 18 to adopt)
- Own or rent your home or apartment
You’ll begin by contacting a licensed adoption agency in the county you live in (this does not mean you will have to adopt from the county you live in). When contacting contracted agencies, please specify that you want to adopt from foster care to ensure you receive the correct information.
The agency will help you learn more about adoption and guide you through the process of the steps below:
- Step 1: Attend an orientation
- Step 2: Complete and submit an application
- Step 3: Attend county or state-sponsored training classes
- Step 4: Participate in a family assessment
- Step 5: Be a foster or an adoptive parent
More About Fostering
While adoption is permanent, fostering is usually providing temporary care for a child while their birth family works with a social worker to improve the situation so that the child can return to his/her birth family. Learn more about Foster Care Qualifications.
More about Foster-to-Adopt
Foster-to-adopt is when you begin the foster care process knowing that you hope to adopt. Once your foster family assessment is approved, you may be eligible to have a child placed in your home for foster care.
In Arizona, being licensed to become a foster care parent is free!
Most of Arizona’s contracted licensing agencies charge an $800 adoption certification fee. This fee is reimbursed to families when a waiting Arizona child from the U.S. foster care system (who is legally free for adoption) is placed into their home for the purposes of adoption. So, ultimately, adopting an Arizona child from foster care is free.
Families can, and do, adopt children from foster care in other States every year. When families adopt children who are in foster care and eligible for subsidy, the families may be eligible for reimbursement of limited nonrecurring adoption-related costs through the child’s State and federal options.
- View Orientation Schedule
- Find a Nonprofit or Private Agency
- Find a Department of Economic Security Office by calling toll-free 877-KIDS-NEED-U (877-543-7633).
In Arizona, the children who need temporary and permanent families are teenagers, toddlers, infants, school-aged children, and sibling groups. Learn more