- Our Services
- For Families
- For Professionals
- Join the Conversation
- Meet the Children
Florida Foster Care and
We are pleased that you are interested in fostering or adoption.
For information, interested families in Florida can call the Adoption Information Center toll-free at 800-96-ADOPT (800-962-3678). This number only works when calling inside the state of Florida. When calling from the outside of Florida, dial 904-353-0679.
- Contact: Bob Rooks (In English y en Español)
- Phone: 904-353-0679 or 1-800-96-ADOPT
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Things You Should Know
- Foster and Adoption Licensing Requirements
- Costs to Foster and Adopt
- Agency Contact and Orientation Information
- Parent Support Group Contacts
- Information on Florida's Waiting Children
Requirements for foster and adoptive parents include a Model Approach to Partnership in Parenting course (24 to 30 hours), also called M.A.P.P. classes.
- Prospective foster parents complete a licensing study to become licensed to become foster parents.
- Prospective adoptive parents complete a homestudy to be licensed to adopt.
- The typical time frame is six to eight months for the entire process.
If a family is working with a “Community Based Care” agency, there is no cost to foster or adopt. Please call us to ask about finding a “Community Based Care” agency.
There are as many as six to eight agencies in a community. Please call 1-800-96-ADOPT for the agency nearest you.
Please call 1-800-96-ADOPT to find local Parent Support Groups.
There are about 14,000 children in foster care in Florida. About 750 of children waiting for permanent placement are without identified families.