- Our Services
- For Families
- For Professionals
- Join the Conversation
- Meet the Children
Mississippi Foster and Adoption Guidelines
Every child deserves a home in which to grow and prosper. Adults also need the connections that a family brings. Please let us help you on your adoption and foster journey.
Things You Should Know
- Foster and Adoption Licensing Requirements
- Costs to Foster and Adopt
- Agency Contact and Orientation Information
- Parent Support Groups
- Information on Mississippi's Waiting Children
Minimum Requirements include:
- Completion of required agency forms
- Medical information completed by a physician
- You can be single or married. If married, couples must be legally married for at least two years
- Verification of marriages and divorces, if applicable
- Currently reside in the state of Mississippi
- Applicants must be between the ages of 21 and 65 years
- Child Abuse Registry checks for all adults in the home
- Police record clearance for all adults in the home
- References for employment and character
- Sanitation and water inspection, if not on approved system
- Home visits and interviews with all household members
- Active telephone service in the home
- Smoke alarm and no less than a four-pound ABC-type fire extinguisher
- Minimum income that proves applicant is self-supporting and could financially meet the needs of an additional family member
- Transportation available at all times
- Participate in at least 15 hours of pre-service training for a child with special needs
- Child must have his or her own bed, and no adult or child of the opposite sex may sleep in the same room with him or her
- Life insurance coverage for family, child and a plan for the child in the event of disability or death of parent
There are fees involved for homestudies completed by some private agencies. However, many families use low-cost or almost no-cost adoption and foster options every year.
A list of Mississippi Licensed Child Placing Agencies is available here.
Parent Support Groups are a network of foster and adoptive parents lead by Partners in Permanency’s post adoption program. Information about a support group in your area can be located by calling 800-748-3005 and asking for Dorothy.
Library materials can be viewed at the Harden House Adoption Program or by emailing the Harden House Adoption Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting the office at 888-893-7318. Materials will be mailed with return mailing instructions.
There are 3,700 children in foster care in Mississippi; 148 of these children are waiting for adoptive families. Please visit the Mississippi Heart Gallery: 200 Million Flowers to see profiles of these children.