- Our Services
- For Families
- For Professionals
- Join the Conversation
- Meet the Children
Missouri Foster and Adoption Guidelines
The adoption and foster care process may take some time, but the rewards are well worth the effort. You will find there are many resources available to you, and we recommend that you become involved in as many ways with the foster and adoption community as you feel comfortable.
- Missouri Department of Social Services Children's Division
Contact: Sarah Bashore
Things You Should Know
- Foster and Adoption Licensing Requirements
- Costs to Foster and Adopt
- Agency Contact and Orientation Information
- Parent Support Groups
- Information on Missouri's Waiting Children
In order to adopt or foster in Missouri, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Complete a child abuse and neglect check and criminal record check including fingerprints
- Have a stable income
- Live in an apartment, condominium or home as long as it meets licensing standards
- Be willing to participate in and complete a free training and assessment process
- Be a part of a professional team willing to voice perspectives and concerns
- Be willing to partner with the child’s family
- Live in an apartment, condominium, or home as long as it meets licensing standards
You can be single or married, with or without children in your home.
To attend an orientation, please contact one of the public, private or nonprofit agencies available through the links below.
Missouri has county-based department of social services offices, nonprofit agencies, and private agencies available to you. Find the social services office for your county. View a list of nonprofit or private agencies in Missouri (PDF - 47KB).
There are many support groups available, including but not limited to:
- Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition
Phone: 800-FOSTER-3 (314-367-8373)
Address: 1750 South Brentwood Blvd., Suite 210, St. Louis, MO 63144
- International Families
Contact: Donna Schnieders
Address: 538 Oak Court, Webster Groves, MO 63119
- Midwest Foster Care and Adoption Association
Address: 3210 S Lee’s Summit Road, Independence, MO 64055
- Parkland Foster/Adopt Families Support Group
Contact: Millie Smith
Address: 408 North Allen St., Bonne Terre, MO 63628
Meetings are held the last Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m.
- Southeast Missouri Adoption Support Groups/Area 3
Contact: Francis Gould
Address: 220 North Fountain, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
- SW Missouri Foster/Adopt Support Group
Contact: Angie Swarnes
Address: 601 Commercial, Joplin, MO 64801
- Children’s Home Society of Missouri
Brentwood Site Phone: 314-968-2350
St. Charles Site Phone: 636-940-1119
Meetings are held the first and third Tuesday of each month from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- Missouri Foster Care & Adoption Association (Warren County Chapter – Circuit 12)
Contact: Cathy Pritchett
Address:103 Morgan Trails Court, Warrenton, MO 63383
- Foster & Adoptive Parent Support Group Serving Miller and Camden Counties
Contact: Cheryl Snapp
Phone: 573-346-3363, Ext. 228
Address: Calvary Chapel Lake Ozark Church, 126 Highway 42, Kaiser, MO 65047
Meetings are held the third Thursday of every month, 6-8 p.m.
- The Central Missouri Foster Care and Adoption Association (CMFCAA)
Serves 13 Counties(Boone, Cole, Callaway, Osage, Phelps, Maries, Laclede, Miller, Morgan, Camden, Moniteau, Pulaski and Audrain)
Contact: DeAnna Alonso, Executive Director
- Missouri Foster Care and Adoption Association St. Charles Chapter Contact: Rachel Kleinbach, president Phone: 716-704-9235
- Foster/Adoptive Parents of Mid-Missouri
Boone County Foster/Adoptive Parents
Contact: Karen Anderson
Meetings are held the first and third Tuesday of each month from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
There are 10,100 children in foster care in Missouri; 1,400 of these children have no identified adoptive parents. You can also learn more about children and adoption resources at Missouri adoption events.